NDepend User Voice

Welcome to the NDepend User Voice page. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of NDepend. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to report a bug, please send us an email at support@ndepend.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Patrick Smacchia
NDepend Team

NDepend Users Voice

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reuse NDepend's Technical Debt and Quality Gate functionality with other rule sources

The introduction of technical debt assessment and quality gates in NDepend 2017 is a very welcome addition. However, the scope of these features (and others like TFS integration and baselines) is restricted to NDepend. This scope is too narrow for those of us that make use of other rule sources such as FxCop, StyleCop, Code Cracker, Refactoring Essentials, OWASP Dependencies, SonarQube, custom written Roslyn rules et al. We would like to use NDepend's features but the scope means that it is only telling part of the story and unfortunately this isn't enough for it to be usable.

We would like…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for .NET Core packaged application analysis

When .NET Core assemblies and applications are built and packaged using dotnet CLI (e.g., "dotnet pack") the build output isn't a folder full of assemblies the way it was in classic .NET - it's a NuGet .nupkg file with the assembly (or full application) inside.

In the case of applications, this includes not only the entry point (e.g., "MyApplication.exe") but also any dependent assemblies required to make the app run. That even means all of the base framework assemblies ("System.Collections.dlll") - there is no reference to any installed .NET Framework. The dotnet CLI and runtime take care of that and…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NDepend Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support for dependency cycles detection for the code using dependency injection

Currently if code is made using dependency injection NDepend fails to detect cyclic dependencies. Sample code:

public interface Interface1
    {
    void Foo();
    };

public interface Interface2
    {
    void Bar();
    };

public class MyClass1 : Interface1
    {
    private Interface2 _interface2;
    public MyClass1(Interface2 interface2)
    {
    _interface2 = interface2;
    _interface2.Bar();
    }

void Interface1.Foo()
    {
    }
    }

public class MyClass2 : Interface2
    {
    private Interface1 _interface1;
    public MyClass2(Interface1 interface1)
    {
    _interface1 = interface1;
    _interface1.Foo();
    }

public void Bar()
    {
    }
    }

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dependency Matrix  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. User forum for discussion / self-help

If there is a user forum to ask other users for help, search discussions, and discuss usage, my bad as I have not found it.

I would like to be able to openly discuss and search discussions with NDepend and NDepend users to find out how others are using the product. How tos, workarounds, find out what it does not do before loosing a lot of time coming to the same conclusion.

I believe an open forum provide more that what support can (not criticism intended).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. View graph from selected method

Drill into a Method to viewing the dependency graph from that point down only.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Dependency Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. TFS 2015 Update 3 VSO Build Code Coverage Integration

Integrate NDepend into TFS 2015 Update 3 VSO Build technology, specifically with historical trending code coverage analysis in mind.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow to define colors on dependency graphs

Allow to choose a color for a code element on the dependency graph view and by default choose a color for the query targets and another one for the query results.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dependency Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Advice on splitting applications

I have come across several examples in my development career where the code has become monolithic and shared amongst multiple applications. For example, a project that I worked on recently had two websites - one for internal admin and one for external and the code is not well-segmented into different assemblies.

It would be nice to be able to select two application projects and get an output for items used separately and shared. You can do this by querying but a simple method would be useful.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  New Interactive Panel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Highlight the IDE's currently selected method, class, and assembly in NDepend views

I'd love it if the Visual Studio add-in would highlight the location of the visual studio editor in the various NDepend views - particularly the code metrics tree map. I'd love to see where I am in code as I'm actively editing C# or VB .NET code.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Basic support for managed C++

I stumbled upon that properties in the API do not work correctly with managed C++ projects. For example IAssembly.VisualStudioProjectFilePath always returns null in case of a vcxproj or ISourceFile.Language always returns SourceFileLanguage.Other.
    This is not about full support for managed C++ but basic things like the ones above would be great if they work when working in a heterogenous environment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Code Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Be able to query methods parameters types

NDepend code model should propose a getter IType[] IMethods.ParametersTypes to be able to write certain code queries and rules, like security related ones.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Code Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide auto-code fixes for simple issues

I use ReSharper a lot when coding, especially for refactoring. With the new Roslyn compiler, a bunch of these refactoring shortcuts also ship with Visual Studio and now can also be custom made ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6wrpYFHhE )

I found myself having to 'seal' 70 classes and I was looking for a NDepend function that does it automatically. Couldn't find it. So my idea is to provide auto-refactoring helpers for easy code fixes ( like sealing a class ).

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create profiles for different levels of experience

The UI can be overwhelming. I think it would be nice to have different profiles, e.g. for advanced and novice users.

The novice user should have a preset of settings which allow him only to see the basic features... just to create more overview.

Whereas the advanced user doesn't have to remove all the info messages/window.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow adding comments to disabled rules

It would be great if you can add a comment to a disabled rule. For some libraries we disable some of the rules and it would be great if we can put a remark why we disable a certain check. It would also be okay if we have to put it in the rule definition.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable search in Options

Just like in Visual Studio 2015, it would be nice to have a possibility to search in the options.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add code churn metrics from source control

It would be extraordinarily useful to include code churn metrics from source control. This would be an extremely helpful metric to help decide what parts of the codebase a team should look to start cutting down complexity, dependencies, and other issues.

I use code churn when it's available to help identify modules, classes, or methods that we should focus on. Items with high churn indicate they're getting touched a lot, which often indicates brittle sections of the codebase.

Since this is totally dependent on each particular source control system, it would make sense to start with only one or two…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Code Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support for Web Sites (WebForms/MVC)

At this moment it is not intuitive and very hard to analyze Web sites with ndepend will be very nice if I could get site analyzed in few button clicks

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NDepend Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Flag commented-out code.

Using SonarQube, I see that they have a rule for flagging code that has been commented-out. Does this exist in NDepend, or could it be added?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Code Rule and Query  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dependency Matrix  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Better support for QHD displays in Visual Studio Plugin

When running ndepend on QHD display (e.g. 3200*1600), some screens have too small controls/content. E.g. Dependency Matrix, Dashboard

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base