Skip to content

NDepend User Voice

Welcome to the NDepend User Voice page. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of NDepend. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to report a bug, please send us an email at support@ndepend.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Patrick Smacchia
NDepend Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4 results found

1. Halstead metrics in NDepend

I would like to strongly advise the implementation in NDepend, of Halstead metrics that are already available in CppDepend. I frequently used the CppDepend maintainability index and other economic metrics to justify important and strategic refactoring.

I utilize other tools to measure the scope and monetary values of changes in C# code base. Yet, I apply other formulas, but without the same accuracy. To apply different formulas may induce contradictions that I must explain, which transform my project meetings almost to courses in software engineering metric and indicators.

To hold the same metrics on both CppDepend and NDepend provides uniformity…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Code Metrics  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add code churn metrics from source control

It would be extraordinarily useful to include code churn metrics from source control. This would be an extremely helpful metric to help decide what parts of the codebase a team should look to start cutting down complexity, dependencies, and other issues.

I use code churn when it's available to help identify modules, classes, or methods that we should focus on. Items with high churn indicate they're getting touched a lot, which often indicates brittle sections of the codebase.

Since this is totally dependent on each particular source control system, it would make sense to start with only one or two…

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. NDepend should not consider exception catch() parameters as method variables

NDepend's method variable count metric considers each exception catch statement to add another variable to the method's variable count. I can understand how those strictly would be considered function variables, but how is this helpful for code quality? Properly handling exceptions should not compete with keeping the method variable count low. Surely it is not bad practice to catch a number of specific exceptions. It seems like bad practice to create a separate wrapper function just to try/catch exceptions in the inner function. How would one refactor this to make it better?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Color to the Treemap Metric Panel

Add Color to the Treemap Metric Panel to be able to observe a second metric on the treemap.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base